The Men In My Life
Melissa Dallago
When it comes to men I have to say that I have had both good and bad, well mostly bad, experiences with the opposite sex. Throughout my life I have usually been most strongly aligned with the women in my family, and at times, it almost felt like a battle between the sexes. My biological father was very much a non-entity in my life, and honestly it has been almost 20 years since I spoke with him. The man that had the most impact on my life was the man who entered my life as my step-father, and exited it as my father when he passed away. He was such a strong influence on my life, and had such an effect on my own personality that I did not realize it until after he was gone. Sure, we had our ups and downs, but through it all he remained a strong supporter and advocate of me.
My mother always said to me "don't marry young," and I have to admit that I took it to heart as I am still not married at the age of 36, but I'm okay with that. When I began to venture into the dating pool a/k/a shark tank when I was oh about 25, what can I say I was a late bloomer, I got attacked by way too many sharks. I have had the ups and downs of the relationship roller coaster and I did not always enjoy the ride. I have been lied to, cheated on, have had alcohol chosen over me, and been dumped, bumped, and left by the wayside by those wonderful creatures from Mars. It got to the point where instead of meeting the proverbial Mr. Right, I would accept Mr. He'll Do. I also like to say that it was because of men's antics that I went from being an idealist, to a realist, and then finally to a pessimist. I was totally prepared to spend the rest of my life in solitude, that was until I met David and my whole perspective changed.
David is a wonderful, loving, supportive, understanding, kind and considerate, dare I say it, man! He is everything that the white knight is supposed to be, and he has certainly swept me off of my feet. We met after our respective fathers passed away, so I know that they both had a hand in our meeting, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't whisper "thanks Dad." David is the yin to my yang. Where I am negative, he is positive (sometimes too much so, but that is my pessimist talking), where I am spontaneous, he is balanced, and where I am overly emotional, he is almost Spock-like. In other words we compliment each other. And the true beauty is that we are both control freaks, so if one of us forgets something, the other most likely already has it covered. The bottom line is I love him with all of my heart, and I am most proud to say that he is my Mr. Right, and its about damn time.
Those are the men in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment