Monday, July 2, 2012

Perfection


Perfection
Melissa Dallago

As a society we are inundated with images and stereotypes that are presented as being perfect.  Perfect bodies, perfect hair, perfectly behaved children, perfect vacations, perfect jobs, perfect houses, you get the idea.  I believe the images that are presented to us simply lead to unrealistic images of what society defines as being perfect. 

These images of alleged perfection are, in my opinion, fallacies.  The images are taken in by members of society and then compared against their own experiences which can seem to fail to meet the norm.  These individual then feel like failures, when in reality they are the farthest thing from it.  One example of how these images can have devastating effects is with women and the ideal body type.  We, as women, are inundated with images of smooth hair, trim figures, pristine clothing and almost “Barbie” like body types.  Society presents this image as the ideal, as being perfect.  We then compare ourselves to this ideal and find ourselves sorely lacking which can lead to poor self-esteem, eating disorders, and possibly even mental difficulties.  Based on this example, I believe that society’s definition of perfection is unrealistic, unfair, and the cause of many visits to a therapist.

I will freely admit that I fall victim to society’s standards of perfection and when I do my self-image and feelings of self-worth plummet.  I find myself trying to be the perfect daughter, the perfect employee, the perfect girlfriend, and just a perfect person.  The inner dialogue that goes on in my head can be rather comical at times, but usually it is downright nasty.  I firmly believe we are own worst enemies. 

According to the dictionary perfect is defined as “entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings”.  I believe that perfect is how an individual perceives it.  I also prefer the following definition of perfect “exactly fitting the need in a certain situation”.  By this definition, I seek perfection in moments. To me the perfect moment includes:

Looking in the mirror and smiling at myself, fully accepting how I look and feel at the moment.
Seeing my boyfriend’s smile.
Finding a quiet moment during on hectic day to simply catch my breath.
Having a giggle fit with my mother.
Sitting on the couch with a book and a cup of tea.
Petting my cats behind their soft ears.
Watching the first rays of the sun come over the horizon offering a new day full of promise and potential.
Being at peace for one minute and knowing that I am alive and fulfilling a higher purpose.

In conclusion, I think that if we, as a society, stopped running the perfection race against ourselves and each other, and instead turned to seeking a moment that is perfect then we would all be much better off.  After all it is moments, not people that are perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment