Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Groundhogs Day


Groundhogs Day

Groundhogs day is a day that we celebrate either the early or late arrival of spring based on whether or not Punksatony Phil sees his shadow.  You may also remember a movie by the same name that starred Bill Murray who was repeating the same day over and over again.  This piece is based on that movie.  

The loud noise of my alarm clock radio wakes me promptly at 5:45 a.m.  My hand reaches across the cold chasm to slap the snooze button.  Exactly five minutes later David's smart phone sounds its alarm and he reaches over to silence it.  Together we rise up like two bear cubs coming out of their warm den.  We sit for a moment and snuggle.  The first action I take every morning is to kiss him on the cheek and ask him how he slept.  My next step involves throwing the bed covers back and fishing around for my sleep pants before muddling off to the kitchen in a half daze as my mind and body is crying out for coffee.  

I pour the cup and drink my coffee as I read through a few pages of my novel.  At 6:15 every morning David is dressed and leaves for the office.  I escort him to the door, kiss him goodbye and bid him a good day.  Then it is my turn for a hot shower and the torture of trying to figure out what to wear to the office.  After struggling with hair and makeup and petting LB on the sink, I am finally ready to leave for work.  Exactly 30 minutes later I am at my desk with a second cup of coffee and reading through my morning mail.  I usually use the first hour of my day to get caught up on little things before my attorney comes in at 9.  

Fast forward eight hours, and I am packing up for the day and making the long drive home that normally takes me almost an hour because Tampa traffic sucks.  I pull into my garage, David greets me this time, and we talk about the day that we had and try to decide what we want for dinner, which is never an easy task.  Then after a few hours of television watching and reading my book, we are off to bed at 10, and hopefully, if my mind is calm, I drift off to sleep and dream dreams that I do not remember. 

Wash, rinse and repeat for five days of the week.  On weekends we usually repeat the same pattern, but add to that a wonderful extra hour of sleep.  This is my version of Groundhogs Day, but it is my routine and my stability.  The major life decisions that I make every morning is to greet the day with a smile and meet any challenges that may rise up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment