Monday, August 6, 2012

Fortune Cookie

I have eaten Chinese food many times over the years, and my favorite part of the meal has always been eating the fortune cookie for desert.  I looked forward to seeing what Confucius had to say about the world. My fortunes were usually something contrite and meaningless that I would ignore as I enjoyed the delectable cookie.  Yet, one time, as I cracked open the cookie and glanced at the piece of paper expecting something trivial, I paused with the cookie midway to my mouth.  This cookie actually had something important to say.  The fortune said, "You constantly struggle for self-improvement."  I actually grinned and thought to myself, "why yes I do!"  Those five simple words spoke volumes about a deep seated belief that I held then, and continue to hold now.

It is true that I have always struggled for self-improvement in every aspect of my life be it professionally, spiritually, emotionally, and most importantly in gaining knowledge of the world and how it works.  I have also always struggled with life events.  I treat each event as a learning opportunity and try to figure out what happened, why, and what I can and must learn from it.  I feel that I have faced more than my fair share of struggles in life, but dammit I am may be struggling with them, but I am learning and improving.

Today my life has entered calm waters, and I am now struggling to improving myself in learning about love and relationships, why life is so important and I am actually trying to struggle with having fun, if that even makes sense. I still have that small slip of paper.  It is worn and taped back together, but I know that those words represent an integral part of my being.  I know I will always struggle with life, I am a fighter after all, but I will be struggling for the worthy cause of improving myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment