Dear Photograph,
There
you stand frozen in a moment with your father standing proudly beside you as
you are getting ready to go to the junior prom in 1992. You look so beautiful and young in your light
pink prom dress, and you father standing there handsomely dapper in his black
sweater and khaki pants. I gaze at this
photograph almost daily and always smile at the memory. Nearly twenty years have passed since that
photograph was taken. I look at my
younger self and wish that I could somehow reach through the glossy sheen of
the photograph and provide her with some valuable insight that will make the
intervening years just a little more bearable.
Alas, I cannot and I also know that if I did, I would not have developed
into the person that I am today.
A
lot has changed in the twenty years since that photograph was taken. Aside from the fact that I am twenty years
older, I would have to say that I have accomplished many of the goals that I have
set out for myself. I did not know it
when I was seventeen, but my life would be faced with more than enough
challenges. I look at myself in that
photograph and see such promise and brightness in my eyes. That same promise is still present in my eyes
today when I gaze at myself in the mirror, but that brightness, although still
there, has softened a bit due to the realities that I have experienced. I am little more cynical and not has hopeful
as I was back then.
The
most drastic thing that has changed in my life since the night that photograph
was taken is the fact that I lost my father.
As a family we shared a momentous journey through sickness and surgeries
and moments of great joy and love that bonded us together. My father, who stands there so proudly next
to his beautiful daughter, was a vibrant, charismatic individual. You can clearly see the love and pride of me shining
in his eyes. My father and I, during
those intervening years, had a tumultuous relationship, as many fathers and
daughters do, but it was one based on a solid foundation of love and
respect. My father left this earth on
September 18, 2010 and he is still sorely missed.
The
most important lesson that I have learned since that night in 1992 is to cherish
my life, live each day as the gift that it is, try to make lasting positive
memories, and don’t worry about trying to be a perfect child, partner, friend
or individual. I have learned from
gazing at this photograph of a father and his daughter that it is moments that
are perfect, not people. Photographs
capture the essence of those perfect moments, and it is those moments that need
to be cherished as they are what make life worth living.
Sincerely,
Melissa
Your
Future Self
No comments:
Post a Comment