The
Gift
Melissa
I kissed many frogs over the years in the hopes that they
would turn into my Prince Charming and I would live happily ever after. Needless to say, my fairy tale dreams were consistently,
and often horribly, dashed. I have been
cheated on, dumped, told that it just wasn’t working out, and just plain hurt by
the opposite sexes idiocy and misdeeds.
I know that I am not the only woman who has ran through the dating
onslaught and emerged jaded and cynical.
I know that I am not the only one who has declared at the top of my
lungs that “I’m done with men.” There was
even a very short time when I toyed with the idea of becoming a nun just to no
longer have to put myself through the hopeless dating/relationship scene.
Through all of my trials and tribulations, my parents
were there for me, watching from the sidelines, cheering me on when it seemed
right and supporting me as I licked my wounds after a dating debacle. My mom always said not to settle, to wait
until I found the right one who would be the right fit. My dad also told me the same advice and tried
to teach me how the right relationship would be. He described it as being one full of love,
support, respect, and most importantly he used the words, the relationship “just
is.” That piece of advice was the
hardest one for me to wrap my head around.
I usually just thought he was full of it, and that the dating advice
that I read in magazines and books was the way to go. It goes without saying that that advice
absolutely does not work.
As the years passed and I was approaching the point where
I was going to consider myself an official spinster, my dad got sick and went
into the hospital for what would be the last time. I remember on my dad’s last day on this earth, we had a
conversation in which I told him how proud I was of the many battles he had
fought throughout the years when it came to his health. He had persevered through so much, and always
kept as positive an attitude as possible.
He, in turn, told me he was proud of me because of my own battles that I
had faced in the dating department. I
scoffed, and he told me again what he had always told me, that he wanted me to
just be happy. He also reiterated his
statement about the “just is” aspect of the right relationship. I tucked it away in my memories, and focused
on the more important events that were going on.
It wasn’t until after my dad passed away that his
comments about a relationship began to come true. By this point in my life I had moved back home with my mom so we could help each other during our time of
need, and dating was on the back burner in my mind. Nonetheless, I still had hope, so I had put
my profile out on match.com., and it was on that website, just as I was about
to shut down my profile, that I met David.
We had so much in common in personalities and desires,
and after speaking on the phone we agreed to have a first date, which turned
into a ten hour marathon. That date was
the best date I had ever had in my life.
David was adorable, handsome, sexy, a gentleman and funny all wrapped
into one. He took my breath away with
his honesty and acceptance of me. One
date became another, and another, and now a year and a half into our relationship,
we are happier than we have ever been in our lives.
David is wonderful.
He is charming, thoughtful, compassionate, understanding, loving and
stable. We have a healthy relationship
that is based on mutual respect. We are
partners together against life, and we find enjoyment in each other. David enhances my life, helps me to be a
better person, and has taught me so many things about the positive things of
life that I had forgotten. He is
everything that I want in a partner and more.
He is my world, and I love him completely.
I also know with every shred of my being that David is a
gift from my dad. My dad was in a
position where he was able to find my perfect match. He helped David and I find our way to each
other. He knew that we would be
wonderful and dynamic together; that we were a perfect match in every sense of
the word.
So, on this day, I say thanks to my dad for helping me
find David. It is a wonderful gift when
your dad points you in the direction of the man of your dreams. And what is even more appropriate, I now
finally understand his advice that the right relationship just is. David and I just are, and it is wonderful.
This should be mandatory reading for every young woman who wishes to rush herself into relationships. You've beautifully expressed the loveliness of patience in finding the love that "just is."
ReplyDelete