Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Review of Worm by Mark Bowden

Worm: The First Digital World War: This is a non-fiction account written by Mark Bowden about the Conficker Worm that stalked the internet in 2008 and created the biggest botnet to date. Bowden has a wonderful ability to take the complex subject of the Internet and malware and explain it in a way that is easily understood. I read this book and actually learned something about how the Internet works. Worm tells the story of a group of "X-men" who banded together to try to confine the Conficker Worm before it threatened to take down the entire Internet. This book documents their steps to contain the worm and the worm's creators moves to outwit them and make Conficker stronger and harder to destroy. This is ultimately a story about the battle between good versus evil, which is something we can all understand. I loved this book because I actually learned about the Internet and how it is truly the greatest invention ever created. I think this book is right for anyone who is curious about the inner workings of the Internet and who doesn't want to be bored to death or who just loves a well-written story of the good guys battling the bad guys. I know that I now appreciate the Internet and those who defend it a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment