I have always considered myself pretty savvy when it
comes to technology. I understand the
fundamentals of how computers work and I can function in Microsoft Windows 8
without an issue. I was proud of myself
on the day I set up my first Wi-Fi network, although it took me half a day of
scratching my head and reading the directions repeatedly, but once I got it up
and running my internet hummed along quite nicely.
I’m even capable of hooking up a small entertainment
system that includes a DVD player, cable box, gaming system and television
without too much trouble. I was able to
install, play and thrive in an online computer videogame. My addiction of choice was World of Warcraft, which I played
incessantly for over five years. I have
since retired from the online realm and have re-engaged in “real life”, as we
gamers like to say, because it is infinitely more interesting than the pixelated
world created on my computer monitor (see I do know techy words!). Based on these achievements I thought that I
was advanced enough in technology to be able to survive in the environment; at
least I thought I was until this past weekend when I felt like I was starring
in a Star Trek episode exploring where no man (excuse me, woman) has gone
before.
Right after Christmas my boyfriend David and I decided
to upgrade to a DVR system to record our favorite shows, and TiVo was our
service of choice. At first it seemed
like it would be very easy to install TiVo and upgrade our system, but boy were
we wrong. This “simple project” has since
evolved into a living technological monster that lurks in the wires and Wi-Fi system
in our electronics; it is the proverbial “ghost in the machine”.
In going through this process I have learned just
how much of a technological nincompoop I really am, which trust me is not good
for one’s ego. Just in the past week I
have learned about N-routers versus G-routers, Z-waves versus broadband, infrastructure
networking upgrades, bytes, bits, data, fiber optics, broadband, terabytes, petabytes,
yottabytes (yes it’s a word, Google it if you don’t believe me), gigabytes,
terabytes, TiVo, Sonos sound systems, calibrating Wi-Fi routers, USB cords, fire
wires, parallel ports, upgraded, downgraded, quad cores, Fios, and the holy
grail of internet speeds, 75 megabytes per second. I’ve learned so much that my head is ready to
explode!
We’ve also had the old standby of screaming in
frustration over a pixelating television screen, spending hours and hours on
the telephone with customer service trying to “just make the damn thing work,” and
cursing streaks that would make a sailor blush!
My head is spinning from the technology nightmare that we have
entered.
The outcome after all of these efforts is that TiVo
does in fact work, but our picture quality is horrible and our Wi-Fi is on par
with an asthmatic ninety year old trying to run a marathon. Our Smart phones have become dumb, our Wi-Fi
routers now suffer from an acute case of attention deficit disorder (huh, what,
you wanted to actually go on the internet now), and our security system has
taken an extended coffee break; basically nothing is working right, but at
least we have TiVo. Whew!
In my opinion its rather comical how in our
technologically advanced world when you try to upgrade one portion of your
system, everything else is knocked out of whack. The systems don’t want to play with each
other, let alone share, electronics just decide to stop working for no apparent
reason, and sometimes I feel like my Droid DNA is just throwing a temper tantrum
on par with a three year old. I am now afraid
to push any button, let alone the infamous red one, in case I hear an announcement
that “this system will self-destruct in 15 seconds”. The bottom line is we are not out of the technological
woods yet, but we are hopefully seeing a light at the end of the tunnel; its
either that or an approaching blue screen of death!
Throughout this whole endeavor, David has been valiantly
fighting the technological monster that is lurking in our house. He has beaten it into submission several
times, but it has not yet been vanquished.
There is still plenty of reboots, re-configuring and recalibration going
on to keep him busy. I’ve pretty much just
given up hope that our system will just work, but my honey, being the
networking and computer genius that he is, has not yet given up on beating the
monster once and for all, that or at least declaring a truce.
The moral of this rant is this: no matter how much
we like to consider ourselves as technologically advanced with our smart
phones, laptops, z-waves, and what have you, when it comes to actually trying
to make these wonders of modern technology work and integrate into our lives,
we are no better than primordial man trying to make fire. We like to think that we are the masters of technology,
but I think, like in the movie The Matrix,
we are slaves to the machines. Ain’t
technology grand!
No comments:
Post a Comment