The Art of Silence
Melissa Dallago
I always struggled to silence my cluttered, voice filled
mind, until I learned the art of silence from the unlikeliest of sources, a
lioness named Kia who was kept at my local zoo.
I visited the zoo often and would always see her, but I only stayed for
a moment before moving on to the next enclosure until the day Kia did something
amazing.
That day when I arrived at her enclosure Kia was napping,
yet she must have sensed my presence because she woke up and looked directly
into my eyes with a concentration I had never seen before. I was paralyzed as I stared into her deep amber
eyes. She held eye contact with me
constantly and was not distracted by any activity. The voices in my, that had been noisily
chattering away before, paused. As we
continued with locked gazes, my inner dialogue was quieted due to my sheer awe
at the majesty of the stunning golden lioness staring directly into my eyes and
into my very soul. Kia was the epitome
of stillness, silence and grace personified in a living, elemental being, which
were traits that I had been struggling to learn. Before I knew it the minutes had become hours
and the next thing I knew the zoo was closing.
As if realizing our time was over, Kia rose and walked to the door of her
night enclosure. During that afternoon
with Kia all of my worries, stresses and fears had receded and I had
unknowingly entered a calm and meditative state communing with her.
I began to visit Kia on a weekly basis. I looked forward to my time with her because
I learned how to calm my inner voices, and achieve a state of silence in her
presence. Time passed and Kia has moved
on to the Great Savannah in the sky, but I continue to find silence in my mind
when I need it by picturing Kia’s golden coat and deep amber eyes staring into
mine; and that is how I learned the art of silence from a lioness.
No comments:
Post a Comment